We spend at least 7 to 8 hours inside our bedroom while sleeping, if you work here in the daytime then the time increases. So clearly one spends the m
We spend at least 7 to 8 hours inside our bedroom while sleeping, if you work here in the daytime then the time increases. So clearly one spends the maximum time in the bedroom especially during the pandemic period. Hence it is necessary to call a professional electrician twice a year to check all the connections. Electrical maintenance in London is something everyone is quite aware of. If they find any problem here or there, they immediately call a professional to repair it.
Here are few rules that everyone should follow when it comes to electrical safety in the bedroom:
- First and foremost, never charge any electrical devices like mobile phones, tablets, laptops on the bed or under the pillow while you are sleeping. These gadgets can easily overheat and can cause a fire. Also, charge them on a hard surface like on a wooden desk. Do not overcharge them, try to charge them when you are in the room and awake.
- Every house in London has a smoke alarm on the ground floor, the electricians working for Electric Works London suggest having it on every floor. This means if by chance there is a fire upstairs in the bedroom it will give a chance to the people staying in the house to come out safely.
- Make sure to check all the plugs and cables that are there in the bedroom. Better ask the Electric Works London people to come and check them. They will easily find whether there are loose fittings, wear, and tear or any kind of damage. If anything is concerning you from the lines then stop using all the appliances present in the room immediately.
- Since London winters are too extreme, many people use portable heaters to keep themselves warm. It is a suggestion to keep it away from any type of flammable materials like curtains, papers and so on. Heaters are a necessity so use them very carefully. Keep at least 3 feet of space in between a heater and some other furniture.
- Electric blankets are a common source of fire in winters within the bedroom. Before using them, check the blanket, see whether there are any signs of wear and tear. Discard the blanket immediately if it exhibits any one of these signs. Read the manufacturer’s instructions that come with it. Know how to fold and store them when not in use. Never use anything on the top of the electric blanket like another normal blanket.
Few checklists to follow to stay safe in the bedroom are:
- Make it a point to check the batteries in the smoke detectors every week that are present in the bedrooms. One smoke detector should be located approximately within 10 to 15 feet of every bedroom, this is a precaution that will save one’s life if there is a fire break at night.
- Ask any professional electrician to come and test all the GFCIs or ground fault circuit interrupters in the bedroom. The outlets are designed in such a way that it cuts off the flow of electric current when it detects problems like presence of water.
- An electrician whenever will come to your place he will inspect all the light switches and outlets. These all should be in a good condition and securely mounted to the wall. If you have children at home then use child-proof outlets, these will cover all the exposed holes with the help of plastic plugs. If he sees that light switches are making sparking sounds, they will fix it as this indicates wiring problems.
- Check the cord of all the electric gadgets you use along with lamps. These cords should be in good condition or they can cause fire at any moment. Do not forget to switch off the electric gadgets when not in use. Also, see the bulbs that are there in the bedroom, it is true that you will not have much idea about it but at least see whether the lamp is being too hot or not.
- Avoid using extension cords in the bedrooms. It is a suggestion from all electricians not to use them as a permanent source of electricity. Overusing extension cords causes the outer jacket to overheat and that can trigger fire at any moment. Before using, check the maximum wattage capacity of it and make sure that you do not exceed it.
- Air conditioners create accidents as well if someone is not well aware, so see that it is turned off when not in use. After a prolonged period of not using them during the winter season first ask a domestic electrician to check it properly and then you start to use them.
A bedroom is considered the most important part of a property that has maximum electrical lines and connections. In fact, in the bedroom, we use most of our electrical appliances. To stay on the safer side, call the Electric Works London workers, they can do any type of work-related to this field. Save their phone number, whenever there is a problem do not hesitate to call them.